Lists of things to do in Washington DC are plentiful but this is a great selection of classic sights, iconic restaurants and bars, a touch of art with some walking and cycling thrown in.
1. Apply to take a tour of the White House – a long time before you leave home.
2. Visit one of the Smithsonian museums – there are 19 in total.
3. Take a walk through Georgetown, the university area.
4. Visit Arlington Cemetery on the other side of the Potomac River.
5. Tour Capitol Hill and the Library of Congress.
6. Walk around Tidal Basin – in early April you can see over 3000 cherry trees in blossom.
7. Have a drink on the rooftop bar of the famous Watergate Hotel overlooking the Potomac.
8. Visit the historic home of the Washingtons in Mount Vernon by car, bus, boat or even bike – along the Mount Vernon Trail.
If you need accommodation in a hotel or apartment, try out Booking.com where you can book rooms with free, easy cancellation.
Save or print your pocket list
Ever get to a destination with recommendations from friends sitting in notes on your phone, on a text message, in an email, or worst of all….in your head? You can’t find where you put it. You’re trying to avoid using data so you can’t google it. You wish you’d printed it at home.
Enter the app you’ve been looking for: Pocket. Just download it to your phone, save this article and you can read it offline wherever you are.
Don’t have your phone? Go to the hotel computer, login online and print.