Just the thought of being in Vienna makes you feel more cultured, more elegant. If you haven’t been, get ready for a city that blends history with the modern day beautifully. Oh, and maybe lose a few kilos before you go – sweet food is its speciality! Lists of things to do in Vienna are plentiful but this is a great selection of classic sights, iconic cafes, a touch of art and culture with plenty of walking thrown in.
1. Start with a tram ride around the Ringstrasse to get your bearings on the Vienna Ring Tram.
2. Step back to history with coffee and a cake at Cafe Central.
3. Go and see Gustav Klimt’s famous Kiss painting at the Belvedere and then drop into the Kunsthistorisches Museum for more art.
4. Grab a schnitzel at Figlmuller Restaurant for lunch.
5. Stroll around Stadtpark to see the statues of composers Strauss and Schubert.
6. Visit the Sigmund Freud Museum housed in his old apartment.
7. Visit the catacombs under St Stephen’s Cathedral in the centre of Vienna.
8. Take a taxi to a Heuriger in the outer suburbs of Grinzing or Nussdorf for a glass of wine and stay for dinner.
9. Get 4 Euro standing-room only tickets for the Vienna State Opera – sales open a couple of hours before the opera and you’ll need a scarf!
10. Have a late night Buchteln (jam-filled roll) at Cafe Hawelka.
If you need accommodation in a hotel or apartment, try out Booking.com where you can book rooms with free, easy cancellation.
Save or print your pocket list
Ever get to a destination with recommendations from friends sitting in notes on your phone, on a text message, in an email, or worst of all…in your head? You can’t find where you put it. You’re trying to avoid using data so you can’t google it. You wish you’d printed it at home.
Enter the app you’ve been looking for: Pocket. Just download it to your phone, save this article and you can read it offline wherever you are.
Don’t have your phone? Go to the hotel computer, login online and print.