I’m yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love visiting New York. Vibrant, fun and familiar we never tire of it. Lists of things to do in New York are plentiful but this is a great selection of classic sights, iconic restaurants and bars, a touch of art and plenty of walking and cycling thrown in.
1. Start the day with coffee and breakfast at Little Collins Café on Lexington Avenue – named after the Melbourne street in Australia.
2. Hire a bike and ride around Central Park or walk around Bryant Park.
3. Stop for lunch at the iconic pastrami deli, Katz’s Deli or go to the famous Magnolia Bakery.
4. Peruse the personal art collection at the Frick Collection Museum on 5th Avenue.
5. Take a tour of Ground Zero, the memorial honouring victims and survivors of 9/11.
6. Take a subway to Brooklyn then walk back to Manhattan over Brooklyn Bridge.
7. Have a drink in the amazing Standard Hotel roof top bar.
8. Walk the Highline – an old, elevated railway line that has been developed into a linear park.
9. Go on a Harlem walking tour – on a day when you can join a Gospel Church service.
10. Take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty and walk up 354 steps until you’re inside the crown.
11. Stop by Bloomingdales or take a bus to the outlet shopping centre, Woodbury Common.
12. Photograph the Empire State Building at night and see a show on Broadway.
13. Do you have anything else to add to the list?
If you need accommodation in a hotel or apartment, try out Booking.com where you can book rooms with free, easy cancellation.
Save or print your pocket list
Ever get to a destination with recommendations from friends sitting in notes on your phone, on a text message, in an email, or worst of all….in your head? You can’t find where you put it. You’re trying to avoid using data so you can’t google it. You wish you’d printed it at home.
Enter the app you’ve been looking for: Pocket. Just download it to your phone, save this article and you can read it offline wherever you are.
Don’t have your phone? Go to the hotel computer, login online and print.